Chuck Blakeman is a world-renowned entrepreneur, author, and educator who has built 10 businesses on four continents. Today he shares a message for entrepreneurs who are operating with an industrial-age mentality in the modern age. Chuck currently leads the Crankset Group and a for-profit business based in Africa who’s mission is to solve poverty. He has expertise in a number of industries including marketing, import-export, and direct mail fulfillment.
Chuck starts the conversation dispelling old adages that cover why making money is killing your business and he asserts that those who are chasing money are missing out on growth opportunities and happiness. Instead of focusing on money as a motivator, he shares how dentists can get off the treadmills that lead to dismal business results.
Chuck blows holes in traditionally held concepts regarding business ownership. Whether he’s discouraging the idea of hiring employees, creating business plans, or working towards retirement; Chuck lays out convincing arguments for approaching the world of entrepreneurship from a new perspective. There are key steps dentists can take to build a modern healthy dental practice. We discuss those topics and more on this episode of the Dentist Freedom BLUEPRINT podcast.
- 2:30 – An overview of Chuck’s business biography and credentials.
- 8:10 – How letting go of the ego can help your practice blossom.
- 10:55 – What your business maturity date is and how to determine if your business is mature.
- 14:00 – Why entrepreneurs need to develop a sense of urgency about the big items that matter to quickly reach a maturity date.
- 18:45 – A mindset shift that business owners need to have to find suitable staff that can run the business.
- 21:25 – Why retirement is an industrial-age concept that should be ignored.
- 23:47 – Why Chuck believes business owners should not have employees.
- 28:53 – Why dentists should never have a business plan.
- 32:55 – How “shelf-help” books are causing more harm than good.
- 35:00 – Why he counsels people away from pursuing business school degrees.
- 39:54 – The most important, least used word in business.
Featured on the Show:
- Connect with Chuck: Website
- Making Money is Killing Your Business by Chuck Blakeman
- Why Employees are Always a Bad Idea by Chuck Blakeman
- Self-Made in America by John McCormick
- Get Off The Treadmill Summit
Get the Full Episode Transcript: