It’s not a new concept that we are usually the one getting in the way of ourselves when it comes to making big changes and massive improvement. Dustin Burleson knows this and has lived it. He joins us on the show to talk about how he turned his practice around through doing things differently and focusing on his own personal development. Dustin has lots of experience and great advice that he uses to help other practice owners to step up and do better work – with a purpose.
You will get to hear about how Dustin got past the difficulty of going against the grain and how he learned to take a proactive rather than a passive stance in business. He discusses industry and economic trends while giving advice on how to prepare yourself for downward trends and hard times. He also emphasizes the importance of intentionality in your life and attaching a strong purpose to what you do.
- 1:25 – Introducing Dustin.
- 4:45 – Key ways he turned things around in his life and practice.
- 7:20 – The difficulty of going against the grain and how to get people to buy in.
- 8:55 – What are the industry trends and what Dustin says you can do to be competitive.
- 11:28 – The importance of taking the victim stance or a proactive position.
- 14:25 – How to understand pricing and value differentiation better.
- 18:03 – Top mistakes that practices make today.
- 21:08 – Key things to prep for in-case of harder economic times.
- 24:40 – How he decides what to read.
- 27:40 – An important person who has changed his thinking.
- 29:25 – How he gives back and why it’s a huge part of what he does.
Featured on the Show:
- Connect with Dustin: Site | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Flickr
- Leo H. Rheam Foundation for Cleft and Craniofacial Orthodontics
- UMKC School of Dentistry
- Stop Hiding Your Smile by Dustin Burleson
- The Consumer’s Guide to Invisalign by Dustin Burleson
- The Ortho Manifesto by Dustin Burleson
- Inc. 5000
- Earl Nightingale
- Aspen Dental
- American Association of Orthodontics
- New York Times
- Washington Post
- Wallstreet Journal
- Financial Times
- Ryan Holiday
- Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
- Katherine Power
- Edward Kramer
- Smiles Change Lives
P.S. Whenever you’re ready, here are some other ways I can help fast track you to your Freedom goal (you’re closer than you think):
1. Grab the first 3 chapters of my latest book: “From High Income To High Net Worth – For Dentists.” The Ultimate guide for anyone who desires to build cash flow and net worth through real estate investment without ever meeting a tenant or fixing a toilet. Visit www.freedomfounders.com/free-book-chapters and start reading.
2. Become An Insider: If you’re committed to Freedom, but still building a practice, paying down school debt, or growing investment capital, Freedom Insider is your entrance ramp onto the fast track! Visit www.freedomfounders.com/insider and click the big orange “Become An Insider” button!
3. Apply To Visit The Mastermind: If you’d like to join dozens of dentists, docs, and practice professionals on the fast track to Freedom (5-7 years max), visit this link to apply for a seat. www.freedomfounders.com/step-1
4. Want to Move to the Front of the Line? Fast Access Insider Group: If you’d like to work directly with me and a small group of my closest investment colleagues, with direct access to the dealmakers and asset classes that I invest in, just send a message to my Executive Assistant (Lindsey@FreedomFounders.com), and put “Fast Access” in the subject line. Or, call 888-548-5855 and leave a brief voicemail for Lindsey. Let her know you’re interested in the Fast Access Insider Group – we’ll set up a time to talk, find out about your goals, and see if there is a fit.