Embezzlement. It may be an uncomfortable topic that not many of us want to think about, but it’s something that we need to consider. While we all want to believe that our staff is trustworthy and honest, the truth is that embezzlement can happen to any of us. Just ask today’s guest, David Harris.
Dentistry’s embezzlement expert, David is a Certified Fraud Examiner and a licensed private investigator. He serves as the Chief Executive Officer of Prosperident, the world’s largest firm specializing in the investigation of crimes against dentists, and his team of specialized investigators is consulted on hundreds of frauds annually.
An in-demand speaker who typically talks to dental audiences 50 or more times per year, David is here today to speak on the uncomfortable subject that affects more dentists than you might think. Don’t miss his tips on identifying embezzlement, as well as what to do (and what not to do) if you suspect something suspicious is going on in your own office.
- 2:47 – Why dental embezzlement can happen anywhere.
- 4:20 – How to have trust as a dentist and still verify that things are being done properly.
- 8:00 – The truth about prevention strategies for embezzlement in the office.
- 12:49 – Statistics on the percentage of embezzlement that goes on in dentistry.
- 14:18 – The average amount of money embezzlers successfully steal.
- 16:03 – Warning signs to look for in employees.
- 18:39 – Dos and don’ts if you suspect embezzling.
- 21:48 – How Prosperident works to catch embezzlers subtly.
- 24:50 – Why security cameras are useless for preventing embezzlement.
- 26:56 – Two reasons David warns against disclosing to staff that they are being monitored.
- 28:53 – Basic precautions you should be taking when hiring staff.
Featured on the Show:
Get the Full Episode Transcript: