Leading a motivated team can be very difficult but Dr. Mike Abernathy has an insightful and forward-thinking view on how to do it effectively. Straight from the Freedom Founders Mastermind, he’s here to help you. If you’re working on your practice management skills this is what you need to hear because he has experience and knowledge to share that is a game changer. From fundamental business principals to hiring, Mike will be discussing what effective leadership looks like and how to implement it in your workplace.
He breaks down the meaning of leadership and coaching with the intent to demonstrate why many work places do not have an effective system and then explains what needs to change. Mike explains why money is just the way you measure the amount of service you provide and how to focus on the team rather than the money. He also talks about why it’s important to pay attention to what’s driving the wrong results and how to turn around the practice.
- 1:30 – Introducing Dr. Mike Abernathy and how he made a huge difference in Dr. Phelps’ practice.
- 3:45 – The importance of accountability in our lives and practices.
- 5:04 – Important principles he decided would be fundamental to his businesses.
- 9:30 – What is Smeagolism and how to stay away from this unhealthy mindset.
- 14:41 – Why leadership is not transactional and what that means about your practice management.
- 17:56 – Why culture is so important to the success of your team.
- 23:52 – The trend with practice leadership and how to stick around in the industry.
- 30:21 – How he uses bonus checks to incentivize and involve staff in important decisions.
- 35:24 – What it looks like to have a good team and how to hire them.
- 39:58 – Why we struggle and how our beliefs are a huge part of this.
- 47:35 – Why you need to pay attention to what you’re doing that isn’t working.
- 51:49 – What success DNA is and why it’s so important to your practice.
- 57:20 – The value of getting your mind right.
Featured on the Show:
- Connect with Mike: Website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Blog
- Howard Farran Blog – Dental Town
- Good to Great by Jim Collins
- Vince Lombardi
- The Ideal Team Player by Patrick Lencioni
P.S. Whenever you’re ready, here are some other ways I can help fast track you to your Freedom goal (you’re closer than you think):
1. Grab the first 3 chapters of my latest book: “From High Income To High Net Worth – For Dentists.” The Ultimate guide for anyone who desires to build cash flow and net worth through real estate investment without ever meeting a tenant or fixing a toilet. Visit www.freedomfounders.com/free-book-chapters and start reading.
2. Become An Insider: If you’re committed to Freedom, but still building a practice, paying down school debt, or growing investment capital, Freedom Insider is your entrance ramp onto the fast track! Visit www.freedomfounders.com/insider and click the big orange “Become An Insider” button!
3. Apply To Visit The Mastermind: If you’d like to join dozens of dentists, docs, and practice professionals on the fast track to Freedom (5-7 years max), visit this link to apply for a seat. www.freedomfounders.com/step-1
4. Want to Move to the Front of the Line? Fast Access Insider Group: If you’d like to work directly with me and a small group of my closest investment colleagues, with direct access to the dealmakers and asset classes that I invest in, just send a message to my Executive Assistant (Lindsey@FreedomFounders.com), and put “Fast Access” in the subject line. Or, call 888-548-5855 and leave a brief voicemail for Lindsey. Let her know you’re interested in the Fast Access Insider Group – we’ll set up a time to talk, find out about your goals, and see if there is a fit.