As entrepreneurs, we put our hearts and souls into our businesses, but there’s a time when you may want to look into selling or the next step. Zack Eller is an expert in acquisitions, mergers, and exit strategies, and he helps business owners determine what their next steps should be to plan for the future. His expertise and passion for entrepreneurs shine through in his advice and recommendations for business owners who want to have the best plan for their business and legacy.
In this episode, Zack runs through what he does when he meets with business owners and how they assess the issues at hand to find the best potential options for the future. He also shares where entrepreneurs tend to go wrong, why many are unhappy after the sale of their business, and how to negotiate in a way that will give the entrepreneur a level playing field.
- 1:16 – Zack’s background as an advisor to businesses looking for an exit strategy.
- 3:22 – The kind of businesses Zack works with and how he understands entrepreneurs.
- 5:04 – The strategies used to work with different kinds of businesses on scaling and exiting.
- 9:38 – How to decide who to service – finding your way out of no man’s land.
- 10:30 – What EBITA is, why it’s important, and where it comes into play.
- 14: 18 – How to negotiate earn-outs in a way that levels the playing field for the entrepreneur.
- 17:50 – What the role of the Oxford Center is.
- 21:40 – Comparing a strategic buyer and private equity.
- 23:35 – The importance of putting together the terms of sale.
- 24:49 – A common trap entrepreneurs fall into.
- 26:46 – The common struggle with due-diligence and how Zack helps entrepreneurs through it quickly.
Featured on the Show:
P.S. Whenever you’re ready, here are some other ways I can help fast track you to your Freedom goal (you’re closer than you think):
1. Grab the first 3 chapters of my latest book: “From High Income To High Net Worth – For Dentists.” The Ultimate guide for anyone who desires to build cash flow and net worth through real estate investment without ever meeting a tenant or fixing a toilet. Visit www.freedomfounders.com/free-book-chapters and start reading.
2. Become An Insider: If you’re committed to Freedom, but still building a practice, paying down school debt, or growing investment capital, Freedom Insider is your entrance ramp onto the fast track! Visit www.freedomfounders.com/insider and click the big orange “Become An Insider” button!
3. Apply To Visit The Mastermind: If you’d like to join dozens of dentists, docs, and practice professionals on the fast track to Freedom (5-7 years max), visit this link to apply for a seat. www.freedomfounders.com/step-1
4. Want to Move to the Front of the Line? Fast Access Insider Group: If you’d like to work directly with me and a small group of my closest investment colleagues, with direct access to the dealmakers and asset classes that I invest in, just send a message to my Executive Assistant (Lindsey@FreedomFounders.com), and put “Fast Access” in the subject line. Or, call 888-548-5855 and leave a brief voicemail for Lindsey. Let her know you’re interested in the Fast Access Insider Group – we’ll set up a time to talk, find out about your goals, and see if there is a fit.
Get the Full Episode Transcript: