Ep #191: Todd Doobrow – The Retirement Gamble
42% of Americans will die broke but most Americans have a different idea of how they will retire and spend the last part of their life comfortably. Todd Doobrow, an excellent source of financial wisdom and insight, joins us to explain where people are going wrong with their saving and planning. He has some great information and tips to share that will help people get on track and get into the right mindset that will allow them to be ready for anything from difficult financial times to retirement.
Todd shares his journey in financial services and his experience helping out a family business that was going through a rough patch. It is clear he is passionate about helping people truly understand their finances and make the best decisions possible for them. He discusses the frustration that comes with people already having their minds made up about certain solutions and the importance of knowing that different people and situations need to be solved in different ways.
- 1:57 – Todd’s financial background and his path to becoming what he is now.
- 5:08 – Key lessons he learned from helping his father-in-law’s practice.
- 11:15 – Why people get tripped up by mentally crossing off various options that may actually be needed.
- 13:59 – Addressing debt and the best ways to pay it off.
- 17:25 – Recency bias and the importance of having the right mindset around debt.
- 19:19 – What to do to prepare for stock market changes or income changes.
- 21:14 – Whether you should defer taxes and how to understand the changing tax rates.
- 23:18 – How he helps people get ready for retirement when they come in late in the game.
- 25:33 – Why so many Americans go broke before they die.
- 28:55 – The importance of having your spouse on board and involved in finances.
Featured on the Show:
P.S. Whenever you’re ready, here are some other ways I can help fast track you to your Freedom goal (you’re closer than you think):
1. Grab the first 3 chapters of my latest book: “From High Income To High Net Worth – For Dentists.” The Ultimate guide for anyone who desires to build cash flow and net worth through real estate investment without ever meeting a tenant or fixing a toilet. Visit www.freedomfounders.com/free-book-chapters and start reading.
2. Become An Insider: If you’re committed to Freedom, but still building a practice, paying down school debt, or growing investment capital, Freedom Insider is your entrance ramp onto the fast track! Visit www.freedomfounders.com/insider and click the big orange “Become An Insider” button!
3. Apply To Visit The Mastermind: If you’d like to join dozens of dentists, docs, and practice professionals on the fast track to Freedom (5-7 years max), visit this link to apply for a seat. www.freedomfounders.com/step-1
4. Want to Move to the Front of the Line? Fast Access Insider Group: If you’d like to work directly with me and a small group of my closest investment colleagues, with direct access to the dealmakers and asset classes that I invest in, just send a message to my Executive Assistant (Lindsey@FreedomFounders.com), and put “Fast Access” in the subject line. Or, call 888-548-5855 and leave a brief voicemail for Lindsey. Let her know you’re interested in the Fast Access Insider Group – we’ll set up a time to talk, find out about your goals, and see if there is a fit.