Ep #180: Chuck Blakeman – Rehumanizing the Workplace
Continuing the four-part summer series edition of the Dentist Freedom Blueprint podcast, Chuck Blakeman is sharing his revolutionary mindset with the Freedom Founders Mastermind (and now you). He explains why the workplace has been dehumanized and gives us the steps that will bring back passion and participation within the business. Chuck states that everybody in your practice should be a leader in some way and shows how that will directly affect how people participate in the business.
The importance of distributed decision making in creating a more invested team and giving practice owners more freedom to lead with excellence. Chuck goes into detail on how to do this through focusing on being a leader more than a manager and making your team stakeholders rather than employees. He emphasizes why your team needs to be encouraged to bring their real self to work and sheds light on how to promote better horizontal interaction so that everyone simply gets stuff done (and does it better).
- 2:51 – Chuck’s focus on dentistry and transforming the way work is done.
- 3:16 – His definition of freedom.
- 6:20 – Why the workplace needs to be rehumanized.
- 11:33 – What a participation agent is and how it works.
- 14:00 – How to rehumanize the workplace through distributed decision making.
- 21:02 – The one question we typically aren’t supposed to ask at work and why it should be the opposite.
- 22:44 – Employees vs. Stakeholders.
- 25:26 – Leadership vs. Management.
- 31:22 – Why you need to move from a boss centered view to mission centered view.
- 36:43 – The importance of allowing the team to be smarter and better than you.
- 44:10 – Examples of businesses and leaders who made the shift to better leadership and a better life.
- 48:18 – What it means to be a self-managed, distributed decision making team.
- 51:24 – 3 important ways to be a better leader and 3 responsibilities of a leader.
Featured on the Show:
- Connect with Chuck: Website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | LinkedIn | Blog
- Freedom Founders Mastermind
- The 3rd Alternative by Stephen Covey
- In Search of Excellence by Thomas Peters
- Why Self-Managed Teams are the Future of Business
- Leadership and Management Have Nothing In Common
- GE Aviation
- Spodak Dental
- Dilbert – Scott Adams
- The Lattice Organization
- An Email From Elon Musk Reveals Why Managers Are Always A Bad Idea
- Problem solving quote – Albert Einstein
- Why Employees Are Always A Bad Idea by Chuck Blakeman
- Jack Dorsey
- Turn The Ship Around by David Marquet
P.S. Whenever you’re ready, here are some other ways I can help fast track you to your Freedom goal (you’re closer than you think):
1. Grab the first 3 chapters of my latest book: “From High Income To High Net Worth – For Dentists.” The Ultimate guide for anyone who desires to build cash flow and net worth through real estate investment without ever meeting a tenant or fixing a toilet. Visit www.freedomfounders.com/free-book-chapters and start reading.
2. Become An Insider: If you’re committed to Freedom, but still building a practice, paying down school debt, or growing investment capital, Freedom Insider is your entrance ramp onto the fast track! Visit www.freedomfounders.com/insider and click the big orange “Become An Insider” button!
3. Apply To Visit The Mastermind: If you’d like to join dozens of dentists, docs, and practice professionals on the fast track to Freedom (5-7 years max), visit this link to apply for a seat. www.freedomfounders.com/step-1
4. Want to Move to the Front of the Line? Fast Access Insider Group: If you’d like to work directly with me and a small group of my closest investment colleagues, with direct access to the dealmakers and asset classes that I invest in, just send a message to my Executive Assistant (Lindsey@FreedomFounders.com), and put “Fast Access” in the subject line. Or, call 888-548-5855 and leave a brief voicemail for Lindsey. Let her know you’re interested in the Fast Access Insider Group – we’ll set up a time to talk, find out about your goals, and see if there is a fit.