Ep #130: Running Your Practice (Business) By the Numbers with Jonathan VanHorn
Accounting is often painful and time consuming. Today’s guest, Jonathan VanHorn, is a CPA and the founder of Dentist Metrics. He solves the number-crunching problem with his digital accounting firm and talks us through the importance of good bookkeeping.
A lot of dentists end up doing their bookkeeping in house. They end up risking their livelihood with common mistakes and a lack of technical knowledge. Working with a skilled and experienced accountant can save you money and eliminate a major headache from your to-do list.
Jonathan is obsessed with distilling complex financial data into actionable, useful information for the entrepreneurial dentists he serves. Instead of trying to get fancy and dodging taxes, he believes in keeping things simple and straightforward.
- 3:00 – How the accounting industry has evolved over the last decade.
- 7:50 – The risk of doing your accounting in house.
- 13:55 – Why Jonathan actually hopes his clients pay a ton of taxes.
- 15:30 – Why accounting needs to be outsourced to run an effective practice.
- 18:15 – How Jonathan ended up serving dentists.
- 23:20 – What you need to know about the current roll up phenomenon.
- 27:00 – The forces holding all the dental practices from being rolled up.
- 30:45 – The absurdity of student loan debt.
Featured on the Show:
- Connect with Jonathan: Website | LinkedIn | Facebook
- How To Start A Dental Practice Podcast
- Freedom Founders
Get the Full Episode Transcript: