Ep #129: Investing in Real Estate Notes on Main Street with Dave Van Horn
Finding a way to invest and put your money to work can be time consuming and often stressful. As a busy professional or business owner, you may be interested in getting more involved in the investing world, but you’re not sure how to start. Dave Van Horn is on the show with us today to share his expertise in the real estate market and more specifically in the note business. He explains his business and why this type of investing is great for people who don’t have a lot of time on their hands.
Dave comes to us with over 30 years of experience in the real estate world. He’s also the president and CEO of PPR Note Company, and he’s an international speaker and investment blogger. He knows his stuff and has a ton of information and tips on how this part of the investment world works and how to get involved.
There are many assumptions people make about investing in a distressed market and Dave addresses these. He also explains what types of things do or do not dictate the value of the type of assets he holds. He explains how the business strategy changes with the market to make it profitable in all seasons. Dave also touches on crowdfunding and how to make the best decisions with where you invest your money.
- 2:00 – Dave Van Horn’s background and broad experience.
- 5:25 – How Dave got started with his partners and how they first sensed the opportunity in the mortgage business.
- 8:42 – How their business model works even when there doesn’t seem to be distress in the marketplace.
- 10:05 – What different things dictate (or don’t dictate) the value of their assets.
- 12:40 – Explanation of the time for money equation and how the options change in different markets.
- 14:02 – What exactly is a distressed mortgage paper?
- 16:33 – Why the note business is good for busy professionals and business owners.
- 19:05 – What to think about if you want to get into the note business.
- 24:49 – How to vet a crowd funder or a fund management team.
- 27:02 – How to investigate and check the background of a crowdfund.
Featured on the Show:
- Dave Van Horn: Blog | LinkedIn | Facebook
- PPR Note Co
- Strategic Investor Alliance
- Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs
Get the Full Episode Transcript: